Defense is your character's ability to withstand physical damage (as opposed to Chi Kung damage). The higher a character's defense is, the less damage that character will take when they are hit.
Defense can be increased in 5 ways:
- By leveling up - Every time you gain a level, you gain 1 defense
- By increasing your Strength - Each Strength point gives you 6 defense
- By using certain relics or weapons that either increase defense directly or increase your strength (which increases your defense indirectly)
- By wearing certain Epithets that increase your defense
- By using a buff that either increases your defense, or increases your strength (which indirectly increases your defense)
There are some defense values that are of some significance.
- Every 100 point interval has a small impact on damage taken
- Every 500 point interval has a moderate impact on damage taken
- At 2000 defense, there is a notable decrease in damage taken. Most nukers will have at least 2000 defense at higher levels.
- 2500 is the defense "cap" at which point additional defense does not have a noticeable impact on damage taken. Most melee builds will have over 2500 defense at higher levels.